winmail.dat

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Thu Jul 1 09:15:21 CEST 2004

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Chris Fortune wrote:

> A certain Emperialistic software vendor from Redmond has unilaterally
> decided that outgoing email from Outlook 10 should be encrypted in
> TNEF format, as winmail.dat .  I know that bogofilter does not convert

There is a knowledge base article that describes how to turn this off,
because it is incompatible with the non-Microsoft world of applications
and even MS's clients may not like sitting on an insula...

AFAIR these attachments or components or whatever haven't been encrypted
but just encoded, but things may have changed with newer Outlook
versions.

> attachments as a matter of principle, but since this is such a popular
> format, and there is no plain/text section in these emails, and
> because these mails are hammy, maybe there should be an exception in
> this case?

There should be no need. Bogofilter will still see the headers of the
mail, including the MIME header of the Tinnef(*) part.

OTOH there is server-side software (some Perl stuff if I recall
correctly) to replace a TNEF attachment by standard attachments.

________
* Tinnef is a German (pejorative) noun of the familiar language, means
  "stupid things"; "bullshit" is close enough :)

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95 (PGP/MIME preferred)