stdout

Tom Anderson tanderso at oac-design.com
Sat Sep 27 12:50:39 CEST 2003

David,

> Bogofilter's normal output is to stdout.  Help, usage, and error
> messages go to stderr.  Debug messages normally go to stderr, but will
> be output to stdout if '-D' is used.  Under normal usage, the debug
> messages don't appear.  They're activated by the '-x *' options  (where
> '*' is any of several characters specifying which debug output is
> wanted).
>
> What output are you seeing on stderr that you want on stdout?  It's
> always possible that a print statement specifies the wrong destination.

---> bogofilter: list word - 733 spam, 35 good

This line is still on stderr even using -D.  Although I'm not exactly
sure what that actually means, I assume it's something that could be
useful to know.  Why is it on stderr?

> As to intermixing of stdout and stderr, that can be corrected using
> fflush.  However, I'm unaware of any need for that.  You'll have to
> enlighten me :->

---> # 1483 words, 6 messages

This line used to get mixed into the middle of the word list, but
setting $|=1 fixed that.

---> X-Bogosity: Yes, tests=bogofilter, spamicity=1.000000,
version=0.15.0

This line still appears multiple times throughout the word list,
seemingly randomly.

BTW, I'm calling bogofilter as follows:
bogofilter -Ns -vvv -D < spamfile 2>errfile1
bogofilter -Sn -vvv -D < goodfile 2>errfile2

As I said, redirecting stderr to stdout (2>&1) tends to make the stderr
line appear in the middle of the stdout word list.  Sending it to a file
first is the only way I've been able to keep it seperate.

Tom