[krjw at optonline.net: Re: Consensus on span filters?]

Greg Louis glouis at dynamicro.on.ca
Sun Mar 30 15:03:56 CEST 2003

Nice words about bogofilter are showing up on the mutt list:

----- Forwarded message from "Keith R. John Warno" <krjw at optonline.net> -----

Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 00:15:26 -0500
From: "Keith R. John Warno" <krjw at optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Consensus on span filters?
To: Mutt Users <mutt-users at mutt.org>

* Adam Mercer <r.a.mercer at blueyonder.co.uk> [29/03/2003 0819EST]:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 09:22:37PM +0000, Jim Ford wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > What's the consensus on the 'best' spam filter? I'm currently using
> > Spamassassin, which appears to work well, but maybe there are better out
> > there.
>
> I use bogofilter, see bogofilter.sf.net. The only downside is that it
> needs to be trained first, but once thats done a very large proportion
> of my spam gets tagged with very few false positives.

I think Bayesian filters are the best way to go.  I started using
bogofilter, too, just last week and thus far it has been 100% accurate;
no spam has slipped by and no false positives.  Then again I had quite a
lot of good and bad mail to train it with.

There is a plethora of good anti-spam reading at
http://www.paulgraham.com/antispam.html

krjw.
--
Keith R. John Warno                  [k r j w  at  optonline dot net]
"I didn't -- I swear I didn't -- get into politics to feather my nest

----- End forwarded message -----

--
| G r e g  L o u i s          | gpg public key: finger     |
|   http://www.bgl.nu/~glouis |   glouis at consultronics.com |