multiple filters

tsh at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk tsh at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Wed Mar 19 11:54:31 CET 2003

Hi all,
I'm a bogofilter newbie, so could I ask your advice please.
I'm considering implementing bogofilter on a mail hub, via
the exim MTA, but would like to set up per-user filters rather
than a global filter. Each user would be offered a restricted
set of facilities (like uploading his spam and ham corpus, and
selecting whether he wanted no-filtering, spam-passthro-with-warning,
spam-drop) via some sort of web interface.

Two questions:

1. Is it realistic to operate, say, some hundreds of bogofilter
databases on the same box (the total number of messages processed
would be the same as for a single global filter, but each user
would have his own tables), and is this likely to require a
very beefy box. Are there any performance indicators anywhere?

2. Can bogofilter be trained on a diet of spam-only? What happens if
the ham wordlists are empty? Whenever a spam msg is added to the spam
corpus (have I got the right terminology here?) is it necessary
to compensate with some ham in the ham corpus to avoid skewing things.

Any other advice would, of course, be most welcome.

Cheers,
Terry.

Terry Horsnell (tsh at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk)
I.T. Manager