[bogofilter-announce] new stable version - bogofilter 0.11.1.3

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Mon Mar 17 15:22:02 CET 2003

At 08:57 AM 3/17/03, Carl T. Miller wrote:

>David, do you know when they're going to come up with a 1.0 version?
>One advantage of having a 1.0 version is that declares the basic
>feature set is determined, and, while minor features may be added, the
>current syntax will be supported until a new version comes out.
>
>If the team has decided on basic functionality, please forward my
>suggestion.
>
>Thanks!

Carl,

Bogofilter currently has a very capable basic feature set.  Of course there
are additional features that will be added over time, but the core
functionality is there _now_.

Given that we _do_ have a solid feature set, our goal for version 1.0 is
that it be a solid, stable release.  We intend to have those qualities at
the time we release 1.0.  We don't plan to release 1.0, fix it a few days
later, re-release, re-fix, etc.  When 1.0 is released it will be solid and
stable, as best we can, and people won't have to wait for 1.1 or 1.2 for
"solid and stable".

That being said, 0.10 was released a month ago and 0.11 was released 2
weeks ago.  A variety of additions, modifications, and bug fixes bumped the
version number to 0.11.1.3 a week ago.  With no needed changes over the
course of the week, 0.11.1.3 was promoted from "current" to "stable".  Over
the course of the next few weeks, any problems that need fixing will bump
the version to 0.11.1.4, .5, etc.  If there significant new additions are
coded, then we'll have a version 0.12.  If there are no problems needing
fixing and no new additions added, then 0.11.1.3 will be relabeled and
released as 1.0.

Of course, there are many ideas for improvements and additional
capabilities.  The top two items in those categories are support for
multiple wordlists and more flexible handling of tokens in html tags and
comments.  When these are implemented they may be deemed important enough
to be 0.12 or 0.13.  Alternatively they may remain in the
"development/test" category until 1.0 is released (at which time they can
become 1.1 and 1.2).

Hope this explains our current thoughts/ideas.  Any comments you have on
the plan are appreciated.

David

P.S. I've CC'd this response to the bogofilter list.  I expect others will
be interested, too.