multiple wordlists

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sun Mar 16 02:58:02 CET 2003

At 08:36 PM 3/15/03, Eric Hanchrow wrote:

>     David> (If more than one of these mechanisms is used, the command
>     David> line has highest precedence, followed by the config file,
>     David> and the environment variable has lowest precedence).
>
>Is there any standard for this sort of precedence?

Hi Eric,

I don't know if there's a formal standard, but I think the convention is
"more interesting" gets precedence.  A part of that is that user
specifiable (or changeable) values take precedence over system standard
values (defaults).  With those thoughts, the priority list becomes:

1. command line parameters
2. $BOGOFILTER_DIR environment variablee
3. user config file
4. system config file
5. $HOME environment variable (giving $HOME/.bogofilter)

The $HOME is last because all users have them (assumming appropriate
shells), but it's not set by the user.  The config files are "background"
so they have lower precedence than $BOGOFILTER_DIR which the user
controls.  Lastly, since the user creates the bogofilter command line he
needs, any '-d path' option will have a high priority.

Seems reasonable to me :-)  How does it sound to you?

David

P.S.  I've CC'd this to the list because I think it's of general interest.