Mailing Lists

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Wed Mar 12 13:50:40 CET 2003

At 06:23 AM 3/12/03, Matthias Andree wrote:

> > To complicate matters he can't subscribe to the lists.  He's tried but
> > there's no response.  I've sent a message to Adrian to see what he can do
> > and I'm thinking it may be time to find a new host/site for the list.  I'm
> > even entertaining the possibility of doing it myself and have been reading
> > about ezmlm, mailman, and majordomo2.  It can't hurt to learn more.
>
>I'd prefer ezmlm-idx, because it has remote-administration features and
>works without web-interface, it needs a qmail-local to feed it, but can
>talk to Postfix-QMQPd and I also have a rough Perl script one could use
>to let ezmlm-idx feed into some other MTA's "sendmail" command.
>
>I find mailman quite inconvenient to administer, although that may have
>changed since the last time I've used mailman seriously (that was 1.1,
>it's now at 2.1).
>
>majordomo2 is under development, and I can't say how far it's come till
>now, and finally, there are also Sympa and Petidomo that I haven't used
>in production yet.

Matthias,

Yesterday I did the old Freshmeat search for mailing lists and downloaded
source for ezmlm, mailman, and majordomo2.

I also ran across demime, noticed Nick Simicich's name, and followed the
link to squawk.com.  There I learned that he's successfully using
majordomo2 and is very happy with it.  Obviously its usable and works well
or he wouldn't be using it.

Reading the docs of the 3 MLM's, I knew Adrian is using ezmlm and that
gives it a head start.  The dependency on qmail knocked it out of the
running.  However Matthias' info changed _that_.  So it's back in the
candidate list.

Can you send me the perl script?  Time for some experimentation...