A good procmailrc setup

Alexander Wasmuth alexander at wasmuth.org
Sat Mar 8 16:41:34 CET 2003

Alexy Khrabrov wrote:

> Greetings -- I'm thinking of improving a procmailrc setup
> to use with bogofilter.  The new options, adding bogosity
> headers, and -u allow for many possible setups.  I wanted
> to share mine and see whether people use similar ones
> and what and how can be improved.

I have a (from my point of view) simple setup:

    1. sort out all mailing-lists/newsletter
    2. sort out mail from people I do not want to read
    3. bogofilter
    4. check that no one out of my whitelist is classified as spam
    5. the rest goes into my inbox

You can take a look at the complete setup at
<http://alexander.wasmuth.org/procmail/>. Beware, I am no procmail
expert at all ;)

I extract the addresses from abook to generate a whitelist, known
senders get a X-Whitelist header so that bogofilter is able to
reclassify any false positives. The relevant part:

[...]
:0fw
| bogofilter -uepl

:0e
{ EXITCODE=75 HOST }

:0:
JUNK

:0c
| bogofilter -Snl
[...]

> First of all, I'm surprised how many people fight spam
> _without first junking mail sent NOT to them_!
> Most spam I receive is not ^TO me in procmail sense.

I considered that, but a quick check at my spam-box revealed that in
fact about 70% of the spam contains my address in the TO- or CC-Header.
Anyway, bogofilter is making a very good job so I leave it this way.

Alex
--
Alexander Wasmuth                        <http://alexander.wasmuth.org/>