A good procmailrc setup

Terry Todd tlt at badger.tltodd.com
Sat Mar 8 14:01:32 CET 2003

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 01:59:41PM -0500, Alexy Khrabrov wrote:

> Greetings -- I'm thinking of improving a procmailrc setup
> to use with bogofilter.  The new options, adding bogosity
> headers, and -u allow for many possible setups.  I wanted
> to share mine and see whether people use similar ones
> and what and how can be improved.
>
> First of all, I'm surprised how many people fight spam
> _without first junking mail sent NOT to them_!
> Most spam I receive is not ^TO me in procmail sense.
>
> Hence, even before bogofilter, the following procmailrc
> setup saved me from 95% of all spam:

Here's my procmail mail sorting philosophy with the recent addition
of bogofilter.

first 'mark' all mail coming in by running it all through:
procmail-spamtrap
bogofilter

then I start sorting it out based on:
mailing lists I subscribe to go into their own files
people I know and want to receive mail from but have been marked
as spam in the past goes to my inbox

then I filter out into separate files for later viewing based on
the header containing lines:
then mail addressed to me:
goes into my inbox

anything that that is not addressed to me and has made it this far
is also most likely spam:
not much makes it this far but if it does it goes into a separate file
for later viewing to see why it went here

Someday when I get my .procmailrc cleaned up I'll post it.
Right now it's a bit of a mess.

I also block IP's and ranges of IP's of well known spam sources at
the firewall.
http://www.stanford.edu/group/itss-ccs/security/filters.html
is a good starting point.  I figure nothing good can come from them
so they are completely blocked.

Terry Todd