AUTHORSS [was: several bugs/glitches/typos/questions]

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Fri Mar 7 13:42:39 CET 2003

At 07:06 AM 3/7/03, Matthias Andree wrote:

>David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:
>
> >>I hosed that recently and missed it when proofreading. Fixed in CVS.
> >
> > Why not leave the AUTHORS list as plain text???
>
>A paragraph per author does not look right and takes up a lot of screen
>real estate, particularly so in HTML. I've left it unchanged for now,
>because changing it from plain to <simplelist> would trigger a bug in
>the XSL style sheets for man and hose formatting (although HTML would
>look better that way).

At the moment, most descriptions are single lines, with two people having
two line entries.  IMHO it's quite readable.

We _could_ limit descriptions to eighty characters (including name) which
would make all the entries one liners.

I'm inclined to think that AUTHORS only need list people who contributed a
major chunk of code.  Small contributions should be acknowledged in the
program file that the contribution is in.  GPL and passive contributions
have copyright notices in their program files and don't need to be listed
in AUTHORS.

Also, I think we should add Nick Simicich to the AUTHORS list when we put
his lexer code into bogofilter.