option names

Adrian Otto aotto at aotto.com
Mon Sep 16 17:10:09 CEST 2002

David,

> I've been thinking about option names and list names.  In ESR's initial
> release, he had options 's' and 'n' for registering spam and
> non-spam.  Several releases later, he added 'S' and 'N' for moving words
> from one list to another.  'n' and 'N' were renamed to 'h' and 'H'.  Now
> Eric has added 'i' for ignore-lists.

Actually I think the use of '-h' should be reserved for displaying a help
message. Although the word 'ham' is less confusing than 'non-spam'. Perhaps
'-g', '-b', and '-G', '-B' should be used for "good" and "bad" content
respectively. I think the use of ham is cute, but not enough to use '-h' up.

> My question is:  How do we handle multiple lists/filters?

Using a configuration file is probably the most simple way to do this. Does
anyone have a favorite way to parse config files, or have a favorite format
for them?

> We can't keep adding single letter flags, because that quickly becomes
> unmanageable and because no two people are likely to want the same
> lists.  One way would be for bogofilter to have a config file which
> contains info on the lists, e.g. list name, file name, weight, good/bad,
> etc.  Maintaining the lists might be done with add/change/delete command
> line flags which require a list name (matched against the config file).

The use of arguments to the existing flags would allow the user to specify a
particular list, which would be "named" in the config file. If the config
file does not exist, the defaults are assumed.

Adrian