mailing list speed

Nick Simicich njs at scifi.squawk.com
Mon Oct 7 10:02:54 CEST 2002

At 10:43 PM 2002-10-05 -0500, Graham Wilson wrote:

>On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 01:31:32AM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
> > On Sat, 05 Oct 2002, Adrian Otto wrote:
> > > I'm also busy deciding what mailing list software I'm going to use. I'm
> > > currently considering Majordomo 2.x and GNU MailMan. If you have an
> opinion,
> > > today is the day to share it with me.

This is the combination I use, and I find it generally excellent.  I'm
managing about 40 lists in half a dozen domains.

I had a majordomo 1 setup with a huge amount of custom programming, and
*everything* I was doing, including bouncing some lists mail back to the
originating user if they posted and were not subscribed, requiring them to
confirm that this was a posting that they wanted a moderator to look at
before I then passed it to a moderator so that the moderators did not have
to look at spam sent to the mailing list addresses was handled through
configuration settings.   The only small hack I had to do was to make it
generate aliases that included demime, and they changed it so that there is
an exit at that point, I just have not installed that version.

> > QMQPd. ezmlm is -- from an end user's point of view -- one of the best
> > mailing lists managers you can have, and its bounce handling is
> > bullet-proof, but I don't run a MLM myself. I used to run mailman 1.1,
>
>from an administrators (i run 8 mailing lists with ezmlm-idx) and a users
>perspective, ezmlm is great. easy to use, reliable, and the best ive
>seen (ive used mailman, ezmlm, and listar).

The only nit I have with majordomo2 is that it does its own verping for
bounce analysis rather than allowing MTAs that can do verp for it (postfix,
qmail) to do it instead.

This is not really important to me, but if I had lists with many thousands
of users instead of just in the high hundreds, I might care.

--
"Forgive him, for he believes that the customs of his tribe are the laws of
nature!"
Nick Simicich - njs at scifi.squawk.com